Saturday, August 21, 2010

Entry 1- Introduction/ East of Eden

And so it begins...a journey of questions, theories, and speculations on the writings of Mr. John Steinbeck. So far Kristine and I have committed to read one Steinbeck novel per month and record our insights. We will embark on a quest to read through most of his novels between 1933-1966.


This will be a year of Steinbeck. After that, we will make a pilgrimage to Salinas and maybe visit places he wrote about and then pay our respects at the Garden of Memories where he was buried. (If they let us in) Steinbeck, show us what you've got. We will follow your life to the grave! lol..


********************************************************************************
I've been told this novel is possibly his magnum opus, or his best work. My first association with Steinbeck is when my father took me to the "S" section of the library, and handed me Grapes of Wrath. I was 9 or 10 years old. He said," Read this book. I want a written summary by the end of today." For some reason, I associated reading books as punishment, and Grapes of Wrath was to me related to my father's wrath. So I read it that summer, but I read the book without understanding(like most books chosen for me). I never heard of  East of Eden until David Kitani raved about it in discussion years ago. He was an American Lit. major, and I figured he'd read enough of them to actually compare. So 8 years later, I have finally picked up the book and read it through and through. Here are some initial thoughts...

In East of Eden(1952), one word remains with the reader: Timshel. 
“Ah!” said Lee. “I’ve wanted to tell you this for a long time. I even anticipated your questions and I am well prepared. Any writing which has influenced the thinking and the lives of innumerable people is important. Now, there are many millions in their sects and churches who feel the order, ‘Do thou,’ and throw their weight into obedience. And there are millions more who feel predestination in ‘Thou shalt.’ Nothing they may do can interfere with what will be. But ‘Thou mayest’! Why, that makes a man great, that gives him stature with the gods, for in his weakness and his filth and his murder of his brother he has still the great choice. He can choose his course and fight it through and win.” Lee’s voice was a chant of triumph.
Adam said, “Do you believe that, Lee?”
“Yes, I do. Yes, I do. It is easy out of laziness, out of weakness, to throw oneself into the lap of deity, saying, ‘I couldn’t help it; the way was set.’ But think of the glory of the choice! That makes a man a man. A cat has no choice, a bee must make honey. There’s no godliness there. And do you know, those old gentlemen who were sliding gently down to death are too interested to die now?”
[. . .]
 Adam said, “I don’t see how you could cook and raise the boys and take care of me and still do all this.”
“Neither do I,” said Lee. “But I take my two pipes in the afternoon, no more and no less, like the elders. And I feel that I am a man. And I feel that a man is a very important thing—maybe more important than a star. This is not theology. I have no bent toward gods. But I have a new love for that glittering instrument, the human soul. It is a lovely and unique thing in the universe. It is always attacked and never destroyed— because ‘Thou mayest.’” 

The word Timshel comes up four times in the novel(p.303-304, 309, 522-523, 602). This word could arguably be the most important word in the entire book. It is important because this word encompasses choice, which is a dominant conflict all throughout. The re-occurring contrasts between good and evil, light and dark, innocence and corruption--these are all themes we find in the book. According to the Chinese servant character Lee, this one word sets man free. To understand Timshel is to seek loneliness. But like he says, in chapter 47, all great and precious things are lonely.

This entire novel is built on man's quest to be free of guilt, free of the past, free of losing his very soul. I love the biblical parallels of names, characters' actions, and the lesson here is that of redemption. In our depravity, there is still hope to be free. There is freedom because of Timshel. 

Also I would say East of Eden is a beautiful autobiography on the scenery of Salinas Valley. In fact I read on Opera's website (of all places) that he almost called this book Salinas Valley or My Valley because so much of the setting makes up the book. The setting is significant because Adam & Eve were forbidden to enter the "east side" of Eden after the fall. I wonder why Steinbeck decided to call it East of Eden. Is it because the characters have left Eden based on their life choices? Or maybe they are tragic because they, too have eaten from the Tree of Life and long before they realized Eden. Maybe Salinas represents Eden. I don't know. Anyway there is no way you can ignore the beautiful landscape narratives at the opening of almost every chapter. Ahhh!! Steinbeck depicts for us the simplicity of nature that is plain, yet so alive and beautiful. I can almost want to camp out there under the stars, and I hate camping! It's hard to believe Salinas Valley is only a few hours away from where I live now.

Steinbeck wrote this based on his personal experiences growing up, and he turns everyday flowers into "salmon-pink blossoms of the azaleas breaking free"; a common river is transformed into "a pleasant little stream that gurgles though the Alisal against the Gabilan Mountains." Sigh, what beautiful words. What beautiful things are hidden in Central Valley, CA! Novelists are meant to sustain dreams and unravel mysteries of the deep, and it is all the more rich and beautiful when it is a place so personal and close to home. I am sure there is no other novel like it. Steinbeck, you've stolen my heart and now I must reclaim it on a high rock somewhere in Salinas Valley!


  j.

1 comment:

  1. yay! you're starting a blog...and that on steinbeck! and i've been referenced! woo hoo! i know im so full of myself. no but seriously, i really like steinbecks writing...i went to the museum too...check out my facebook pictures.

    confession: i have not actually read east of eden (i only saw the james dean movie...which made me cry). my wife totally loves the whole timshel bit.

    pastures of heaven i have read though. its one of my all time favs of all lit.

    joy keep on writing. i think you're gifted at it.

    ReplyDelete